Sitting all day and getting no exercise puts us at a risk for poor posture and back aches. All of us mean to take care of ourselves by eating right and getting enough exercise. We really mean to, but the working hours consume our whole day. Hence we are left with a choice to either workout or work, and of course we choose work because the bills won’t pay themselves right? So what if you don’t have time for a walk, or to hit the gym, (You are not alone! Many people don’t have time either! Don’t know how those fit people manage!) working in office has taught you a thing or two about time management so why not multitask?
Strengthen your back by doing these 3 exercises without getting up from your chair.
Chair Pull Ups
This is a simple chair exercise you can do whenever you have a few minutes.
- Sit in your chair with your shoulders pulled back, straighten your spine and cross your legs with your feet on the chair
- Then place your hands on the armrests, take in a deep breath and raise yourself a few inches above the seat, using your gut, muscles and hands
- Hold for 10 to 20 seconds. Rest for 30 seconds
Sitting Forward Bends
This sitting exercise will help open your back and get rid of the stiffness.
- Raise your arms overhead and inhale slowly
- Exhale and go down from your waist by bring your chest forward and touch your torso to the thighs
- Touch your hands to floor, let your arms hang relaxed from shoulders
- Let your neck drop slowly and carefully down between knees
- Hold for a few breaths, release and repeat two to three times.
This is an exercise that requires an exercise ball. You can carry one to office and keep it under your desk.
- Sit sideways on the lower edge of a chair
- Place your hands on the exercise ball and support bar for stability
- Lay your back over the ball and spread your hands and legs out at shoulder-width for stability and place your feet flat on the floor
- Ensure your hips are positioned directly on top of ball. The hips should be at the centre of your body in order to get a good stretch
- Take a deep breath and let your torso and legs fall freely from your hips
- Relax your shoulders and reach out your hands
- Take deep breaths with your eyes closed
- Once done, curl yourself up and rest for 30 seconds
All you have to do is these three chair exercises while at work and not only your body but also your mind will thank you for your efforts. Using a natural formulation such as Moov can also help alleviate the pain and allow you to focus on your work.