Ankles are part of the musculoskeletal system. The ankle joint is flexible, allowing you to move, rotate or flex your foot. It helps you stand by supporting the entire weight of your body. Therefore, ankle pain is a very discomforting condition, which limits your movements and interferes with your daily life.
What is ankle pain?
Ankle pain is the discomfort or pain that affects any area or part of the ankle. The most common cause of ankle pain is a sprain. It happens when the ankle twists or rolls and the ligaments are harmed. There are other reasons for ankle pain as well. Generally, ankle pain gets better with rest. But, if the pain is severe, it should be treated immediately to prevent any complications and further pains.
Causes of ankle pain
- Bursitis: Inflammation of the fluid-filled sacks called bursae cushion
- Sprains: Tear or stretching of the ankle ligament which causes pain and swelling in the ankle
- Fractures: Ankle injury which involves breaking or cracking of the bones in the ankle joint
- Tendonitis: Inflammation or irritation of the tendons or the soft tissues connecting muscles to bones
- Arthritis: Breaking down of the cartilage which causes inflammation or irritation of the ankle joint
- Flatfoot: A low foot arch resulting in swelling and ankle pain
- Gout: A type of arthritis caused by excessive uric acid in the body
- Infections: Different types of infections that cause pains and inflammation in the ankle
For the right ankle pain treatment, understanding the ankle pain reason is a crucial factor. There are some effective home remedies for ankle pain. For immediate relief, experts recommend RICE treatment for ankle swelling and ankle pain. It consists of Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation.
Give your ankle the required rest. Avoid moving around walking or putting any weight on your ankle for the initial days. Use a cane or crutches for walking so that your ankle does not get stressed.
Put an ice pack or a bag of ice on your ankle for at least 20 minutes at a stretch, after every few hours. Ice packs reduce swelling and leg ankle pain to a great extent.
To reduce inflammation or leg ankle pain, use an elastic bandage to wrap your injured ankle. Wrap it up comfortably. Do not wrap too tightly. Such compression is one of the effective home remedies for ankle pain.
Raise your ankle elevated above your heart level. Sleep with your ankle raised by keeping it on a pillow or a stack of pillows. Elevating the ankle with the help of a support structure will ease your pain and reduce inflammation.
The RICE method is a tried, tested, and trusted ankle pain treatment. It has many benefits. RICE prevents the ankle pain from further aggravating. It keeps swelling under control and gives your ankle sufficient recovery time. In addition to RICE, there are other home remedies for ankle pain. They are as follows.
- Supportive Footwear: To reduce or avoid ankle pain, it is a must that your footwear is sufficiently supportive for ankles and feet. Do not wear too loose or too tight footwear. Avoid flip-flops or sandals. Take extra care to choose correct and perfectly fitting while playing sports.
- Taking breaks: If you are suffering from leg ankle pain, take breaks in your daily tasks. Make sure to let your ankle relax.
- Topical pain relievers: Taking pain relievers for temporary relief is a common ankle pain treatment. It helps to a certain limit.
To avoid ankle pain on a long-term basis, one should keep a healthy weight. Eating healthy and being active are the keys to well-being. Keep the habit of stretching before exercising. With such comprehensive care, you can avoid, treat or manage leg ankle pain at home.
Moov aims to provide relief from pain through a safe topical solution. It is a trusted brand that offers pain relief products. Moov STRONG Diclofenac Gel and Moov STRONG Diclofenac Spray are highly effective on ankle pain. Moov STRONG Gel's unique, non-sticky, fast absorption formula allows it to work fast and reduce pain. The Moov STRONG Gel and Spray both go straight to the source of pain, so the relief is quick and long-lasting.