It is safe to say that shoulder joint is the most complex joint in your body. The reason being, shoulder joints have to undertake the task of both giving mobility to move your arm 360 degrees, along with providing stability that lets all the bones, tendons, muscles and ligaments that make up the shoulder function together.
With so many parts making up the shoulder, it is natural for you to experience pain or loss of mobility due to injury. If you are going through shoulder pain, try doing the below mentioned exercises to relieve yourself from the pain. Remember to always visit a doctor if you are down with shoulder pain that is not relieved by several days of ice, massage, rest and elevation.
- Arm-across-Chest Stretch – Keep your right hand straight out in front of you, resting it near your waist. Reach your left hand behind your elbow, pulling your right arm to the left across your chest. If you start feeling pain in your shoulders, lower your arm till the pain subsides. The idea is to be able to pull your right arm across your chest without experiencing any pain. Stay in that position for 30-60 seconds, relax, and do the same stretch with your left arm. Repeat the same 3-5 times.
- Neck Release – Sit erect and follow it by slowly bringing your chin close to your chest until you feel the stretch in the back of your neck. If possible lean your head towards the left to stretch your right shoulder or lean your head towards your right side to stretch your left shoulder. Stay in the same position for at least one minute in each direction, taking deep breaths as you focus on relaxing. Repeat the same process 3-5 times.
- Chest Expansion – Put an exercise band, strap, rope or even a tie behind your back and grip it with both hands. As you hold the strap, bring your shoulder blades towards each other and slowly lift your chin towards the ceiling. Take deep breaths for 10 to 15 seconds and release. Repeat the same process 3-5 times
To improve the stretch, bring your hands close to each other on the strap.
- Seated Twist – Sit erect on a chair bringing your knees together. Twist your torso towards your right side keeping the left hand on the outside of your right thigh. Loosen your shoulders as you look at your right side, gently pushing on your right thigh. Take deep breaths for 10-15 seconds and then release. Repeat the same exercise with your left side. Repeat both sides 3-5 times.
- The 90, 90 shoulder stretch - Position yourself in a doorway, with your arms raised up so that your elbows are at a 90 degree and your arm forms a 90 degree angle to your body at the shoulder. Keep each hand on each sides of the door frame, keeping one foot forward as you stand straight aligning your neck with the spine. Lean forward as you brace yourself against the door frame. Stay in this position for 20-30 seconds. Repeat this exercise 2-3 times.
Another instant and effective way of getting relief from neck pain is by using Moov’s range of pain relief products such as Moov STRONG Diclofenac Gel & Moov STRONG Diclofenac Spray which contains Diclofenac, the No. 1 doctor-recommended active ingredient for acute pain relief